It’s mid-January again, and it finally feels like winter has arrived in Central Iowa. Which must mean it’s time to start thinking about tax season! I outline below 4 easy ways to get organized to make this tax season a breeze.
- Decide where you are going to collect the tax documents sent to you.
- This could be a physical folder, or a folder on your computer if you receive tax documents electronically. Many of our clients simply use the mailing envelope that the BakerStarrett, LLP tax organizer comes in.
- Whichever method you choose, use it consistently. As you receive a document, process it immediately and get it out of mind by putting it in your “tax folder”.
- Watch your mailbox.
- Many of the important tax documents will be mailed to your mailing address. This includes the BakerStarrett, LLP tax organizer.
- Watch for the postal service worker, look through your mail regularly, and promptly put tax documents in the tax folder.
- Download electronic statements that may not be mailed to you
- More and more financial institutions are prompting customers to opt-in to electronic delivery of statements and tax documents.
- While this saves paper, it unfortunately means additional responsibility for you. You will need to log in to your financial accounts, look for the tax center or “tax documents” section of the website.
- Print these tax documents and put them in your folder
- If you don’t have access to a printer, upload electronic versions of your tax files to the BakerStarret, LLP client portal. It is located in the top right corner of our www.bakerstarrett.com website. Call us at 641-236-8083 if you would like a portal or need help accessing your portal.
- Fill out your tax organizer, and bring it to BakerStarrett, LLP.
- If you do not have a tax appointment scheduled but would like one, just give us a call at 641-236-8083.
- If you do not want or need a tax appointment, simply mail or drop-off your filled out tax organizer and the tax documents you have collected.
Your accounting and tax team at BakerStarrett, LLP is eagerly waiting to serve you this tax season.