What tax documents should I send to BakerStarrett, LLP?

This blog compiles a list of common tax documents that you should send to BakerStarrett so that we can accurately complete your 2020 tax return.

Please remember that while most tax documents are mailed to you, many financial and educational institutions are delivering documents electronically. While electronic delivery is convenient, it requires that you log in to your accounts to download them from the Tax Center, or Tax Documents area.

Mailed or electronically delivered by January 31st

  • The BakerStarrett Tax Organizer. Please open and review it. Cross out items or pages that do not apply. Correct outdated information, and fill in the pages that apply to you.
  • Form W-2 (from all employers), W-2G, 1099-R (from all retirement plans), 1099 SSA, 1099-MISC
  • Interest and dividend statements from financial institutions (Forms 1099-INT, 1099-B, Consolidated Form 1099). Sometimes the consolidated brokerage statements are sent in February and take longer to arrive.
  • Form 1095-A provided by the Health Insurance Marketplace (Healthcare.gov). You will only receive this if you had health coverage through the HealthCare.Gov insurance marketplace (ACA/Affordable Care Act/Obamacare) for any month in 2019. If you do not receive a copy by February 1st, see here for instructions to obtain one: https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-form-1095/ 
    • In prior years we also asked for Forms 1095-B or 1095-C. If you received these, you can send them to BakerStarrett, but they are not required for the preparation of your 2019 tax return.
    • Form 1098 –T for education expenses and an educational transcript with detail of when amounts were paid.

Here are some additional items to consider when dropping off your tax organizer and tax documents:

  • Does BakerStarrett, LLP have current contact information for you?
  • If you have moved, make sure to provide your new mailing address, a closing statement for your new home. If you sold your previous home make sure to provide the closing statement from the sale as well.
  • Birth dates and social security numbers for any new dependents being added to your tax forms. Example: spouse and new bundles of joy.
  • Total paid to daycare provider for the year and the daycare provider’s tax identification number, such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number.
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit if receiving a refund; such as a blank check

Your accounting and tax team at BakerStarrett, LLP is eagerly waiting to serve you this tax season. If you missed my first blog in this series head over and read Four steps to get organized for tax season. Please call our office if you have any questions regarding your tax documents.

Leave a Reply